Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Sissy in the Wig Store

My thoughts on my other story about needing a wig remind me of a funny story.

I had been debating for a while about going to a store to get a wig.  The first couple of times that I went out, I used my wife's Halloween wig, which was a decent wig that she spent a lot of time styling, so it wasn't bad.  It wasn't the best though either, and the hair color was different than mine.  I knew that a good wig was the last piece of the puzzle that I would need in order to be able to step out of the house as a reasonably passable woman (and it ended up coming in very handy during my first big adventure out to the clothing store.)  But just like everything else related to these types of decisions, the decision to go into a store and buy a wig is a lot easier than plucking up the courage to go to a store and actually do it.

I know I probably could have gotten one online, but I wanted to be able to pick one out myself and prove to myself that I had the courage to do it.

Months literally went by while I tried to make the decision to do it.  I was pretty happy with dressing at home, so it wasn't that big of a big deal.  The more I delayed, however, the closer Halloween approached, and I knew this would be the time to act.

The week of Halloween, I knew this was my one, good opportunity.  The timing was perfect.  No one would suspect much from a guy buying a wig for a Halloween costume.  I went to a wig store near my house, and took a deep breath and walked in.

"I don't know any of these people," I told myself, reassuring myself that their opinion of me did not matter.

Walking in, I began to peruse the aisles of wigs.  The store was Korean owned, but most of the workers and customers were black.  Some ladies were back at some chairs in an area like a hair salon getting their wigs adjusted, and they kind of looked at me strangely.

I somewhat skittishly looked for a wig that I liked, when all of a sudden a saleslady, an older woman, came up from behind and asked me if I needed help.

"Um, yeah...I need a wig, preferably something long that matches my hair color."

She gave me a look that said, "Okay, whatever, sissy boy," and pulled out a long wig.

"Will this do?" she looked at me, “Is this long enough?”

I scrutinized it a bit, and accepted it.  I didn't want to seem like I was being too picky about a wig, but it was actually a nice one, so I just let fate decide for me.

"Would you like to try it on?" she asked.

"Sure," I said unwittingly, not knowing what that entailed, and she grabbed the wig and had me follow her back to the area where the other ladies were trying on their wigs.

"Sit down," she pointed to the salon chair, and I began to feel out of place seeing the crazy looks from the other ladies.

I did as she asked, and she put the wig on me and showed it to me in the mirror.

"Is that okay?"

"Yeah, I guess.  Wow, it is really long, isn't it."

"We can cut it if you like."

"No, it's not a big deal.  It's just for Halloween," I said defensively.

I didn't want to lie.  I kind of promised myself that I didn’t want to be ashamed and lie.  I thought that maybe the best thing was just to keep them guessing, but I felt that I was making them uncomfortable, and felt the need to explain with a lie.

"That's what I figured," said the lady smiling, reassured.

The ladies in the chairs seemed to doubt my explanation.  As I took the wig to the counter to pay, a young, pretty black girl (young for me, perhaps mid 20's) came right up to me.

"What's your costume?"

"Oh...a rock star."

"Oh that's great.  That's a nice wig.  What are you going to do with it after Halloween?"

"I don't know, just stick it in the closet I guess."

"Well you can give it to me if you're not going to use it," she fluttered her lashes at me.

"Un uh!" said one of the ladies in the chairs obviously disagreeing with her choice of flirtation.  Her vocal objection was so loud it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

Of course I'm married, and didn’t do anything else, but I was curious.  I think this girl saw through my disguise, and was turned on by a guy buying a wig.  I politely exited the conversation, and smiled at her, and went home with my prize.  It was an adventurous and trying day to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment