Saturday, August 11, 2012

Stepping Out: After the First Time (Part 4: Sissy in a Shoe Store)

I had successfully gone to the mall, and now headed for one of those brightly lit shoe warehouses that had thousands of pairs of shoes up and down the aisles.

Getting out of the car, as I walked in, a big wind began to blow.  Not only did I realize what if felt like to have my skirt lifted by the wind, but the long hair of my wig was all over the place.  It wasn't exactly how I wanted to approach the store.  Luckily I was far enough away that no one noticed.

Fixing my wig, and straightening my skirt, I clutched my purse, and walked inside the very brightly lit store.  Once again, lots of women were there, coming and going, and none even really looked at me twice.  It was a strange feeling to be accepted as a girl without question, and I began to feel comfortable in my surroundings.  As I began to settle in, I was in ecstasy, knowing that I was able to freely walk up and down the aisles and take my time looking at any shoes that I desired.  At one point I even had to squeeze by some teen girls and their mothers to get past them in one of the aisles.

"Excuse me," I said softly in an unpracticed female voice.  I was so close to the teen girl, and she just politely moved a few inches, no weird looks, no double-takes.

I tried on several pairs of shoes that night in the store, and settled on a pair of black patent leather, cork bottomed sandals, with five inch heels, and a tiny ankle strap.  It was a bit of a challenge securing those tough-to-secure leather ankle straps and still be ladylike, but when I put them on, and stood up, I knew that I really wanted them.  The only thing was that I would have to pretend to be a girl in front of a cashier.  This was a new challenge that I wasn't expecting, but I really wanted those shoes that night.

Gathering up some courage, I went to the counter and waited in line, hoping the people in front of my didn't look back or want to make conversation.  I was glad that a girl was at the cash register, but she was busy, so a male cashier whizzed by and opened up another register and pointed to me.

He didn't seem to notice right away, when he said, "Did you find everything okay?" and I answered in my best feminine voice.  But when he asked a follow up question, I saw him look up, and then he knew.  It was an uncomfortable moment for both of us, but we both just pretended it didn't exist.

Still, it wasn't that bad.  I didn't really know that guy, and he could have probably cared less.

Walking out of the store, I felt elated at my adventure, and excited to try on my new shoes.  This was so much better than shopping online!

No comments:

Post a Comment